This month's newsletter includes information about mid semester comments from our dean of students, online and on-campus college counseling events, a teacher meeting opportunity and online and on-campus information session events.
Half Way There!
Believe it or not, we are half way through this Fall semester! With just 9 weeks left, it is important to now focus on submitting work on, or very close, to the posted due dates. Yes, we still have a 2 week grace period to submit assignments with no penalty; however, it will be to students advantage to only use that grace period when absolutely needed. Procrastination now will make things much more difficult come November and December. As a reminder, courses close at 3pm PST on December 14th. Set a goal for yourself to finish strong, and not wait until the last minute. If you or your student is feeling overwhelmed, please reach out to our administrative staff who are here to help students succeed.
October 24th all teachers will have an opportunity to set aside some time to meet and hear from our Spiritual Life Director on the topic of grace in the online classroom. This session, "Grace as an Operating Principle", will explore grace from a theological and pedagogical perspective and offer practical tips for how to put these ideas into daily practice with students, colleagues, and parents.
College Counseling Live
When: Mondays at 1:30 (PST)
Where: College Counseling Virtual Classroom
- October 17th What Colleges Are Looking For. Come learn what are the things colleges value in the admissions process and evaluate where you stand in comparison. We will also discuss what you can do to be successful in the college application process.
- October 24th Colleges That Create Futures. We will be discussing the colleges named in the book Colleges That Create Futures and why some of them should be considered for your college lists.
- October 31st Colleges That Change Lives. Learn about the 40 colleges throughout the U.S. that have earned this distinction. Many are colleges you have never considered but would be great schools for your college list.
College Counseling Featured Event:
Let's Talk College for 10th Grade Students
Tuesday, October 18th Oaks Christian Main Campus
All local 10th students and parents are invited to attend this annual event on the Oaks Christian Main Campus (Bedrosian Pavilion) Paul Kanerek, CEO of College Wise, has been a national figure in colleges admissions for decades will address our families regarding current trends in college admissions. This is an informative and entertaining event you won't want to miss.
College Counseling Events
1. All local 9th-11th grade students are required to take the PSAT on Wednesday, October 19th. This is a national testing day for the PSAT. Students should arrive at the OCO Computer Lab by 8am. Testing will be finished by Noon. Be sure to bring #2 pencils and a calculator.
2. Application Workshop for 12th Grade Students will be on Tuesday, October 25th and November 1st from 4-7pm in the OCO Computer Lab. This is an opportunity for seniors to get together and work with Mrs. Locke to complete their applications. Dinner and snacks will be provided.
3. Campus Visit: Loyola Marymount, Thursday, October 27th. Meet at the OCO Office for the first of our college campus visit for the year. You will need to RSVP with Mrs. Locke by Friday, October 21st. A detailed flier with permission slip will be sent out this week.
4. The National Performing and Visual Arts Fair will be on Saturday, October 22nd at UCLA from 1-3pm. This annual event is taking place again this year on the UCLA campus. Over 200 colleges will be participating. The fair is open to the public and you can register on the NACAC website at www.nacacnet.org just click on college fairs and events.
On-campus and Online Information Sessions
All students and families interested in attending OCO for either a single course, or full-time enrollment, should attend an online information session.Admissions Director, Brittany Lindsey, will cover topics such as: college counseling, spiritual life, admissions information, and a day in the life for an online student. Upcoming sessions will be on Tuesdays, October 18th, November 15th and 29th at 9 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. PST.
There will also be an on-campus information session for all local families on Saturday, November 12th. This is a great opportunity to meet some of our faculty and staff in person, and have a tour of our online school office and learning center.